Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Love is never having to say, "What did I just step in?"

This week we received a varied amalgam of items in the mail. Mostly bills. There was a statement from my wonderful and supportive insurance provider. It showed the cost of my January hospital stay at over $22,000. We received a bill from Willamette Valley Cancer Institute for $600, which we know is only going to go up... no matter the payments can make. We also received a bill for our utilities from SUB. This utility bill, which we have been very behind on, suddenly showed a credit of $75!

Someone out there graciously and lovingly paid $400 towards our utilities! I have no idea who it was. I'd love to thank that person, or persons, well... personally. But they, to this point, have chosen to remain anonymous. We've made no effort to discover who did this, assuming the anonymity was intentional. Whomever blessed us in this way... Thank you. Thank you very much.

I was raised, and am a firm believer, that the fewer people who know about an act of kindness, the more important that act is. Jesus spoke of people who prayed on street corners, hoping others would see and applaud their actions. But if you're just doing it so that others will give you praise... it's not really a gift.

"And when you come before God, don't turn that into a theatrical production either. All these people making a regular show out of their prayers, hoping for stardom! Do you think God sits in a box seat? Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace. " -Jesus (Matthew 6:5-6) The Message


I'm not saying that if a person walked up to me, with $5,000 or a five dollar gift card to McDonalds, and wanted me to write a press release proclaiming his or her generosity that I wouldn't take the gift and write up the release. I'm just saying that the "gift" somehow depreciates in value. I'm also saying that the non-material rewards we receive when giving a gift to someone are diminished greatly.

It's just my opinion. Heck, all of this is. I am not in any way suggesting that we are un-thankful for any thing we've been given. Each little piece of support is a tremendous blessing. Each small act is a miracle for us. What I am saying is that this person who gave so generously and anonymously will be truly blessed by God. I want them to know how incredibly thankful and blessed we felt by their action. How loved.

And love, after all, is action when you get right down to it.

No comments: