Monday, October 19, 2009

"Shut him up or shut him down!" - Han Solo

Believe it or not, being off of chemo has been the most frustrating part of this process since the surgery. When I was on chemo I felt like, at least, I was involved in some kind of action. I didn't think I would be cured but it seemed, as it almost always does, that doing something helped. At least it did in my head.

Now it feels like I'm waiting for the cancer to come back full strength. It's not gone by any means. But we're waiting for it to "strike back" at any moment. It just feels so helpless.

And maybe that's the point...

I've been doing a lot of talking over the last few months. With people. Twittering. Here. Maybe I haven't been listening enough. See, the problem with listening is you have to be quiet. I'm not promising, by any measure, that I'll be silent or shut-up enough to stop annoying you. But I've got the time. I'm feeling helpless. It's time to listen.

Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still and know that I am God." Now, this verse has more to do with stopping all the franticness in our lives and recognizing the power that God has. Who He is. Who He really is in the grand scheme of things. I like, as I usually do, the translation in the Bible paraphrase of The Message:

Attention, all! See the marvels of God!
He plants flowers and trees all over the earth,
Bans war from pole to pole,
breaks all the weapons across his knee.
"Step out of the traffic! Take a long,
loving look at me, your High God,
above politics, above everything."

(Psalm 46:8-10)


So I plan to start listening more. Being still more. Trying to recognize, daily, how amazing God is. And He is amazing.

Last week Kristin and I went to check out The David Crowder Band at First Baptist of Eugene. It was a great show. I reviewed the concert for the Register-Guard. You should read it and find out why I didn't pursue a career in journalism.

I can't emphasize enough how great the opening act, Seabird, was. Just great!

Also, don't forget the Improv Comedy show coming up on November 7th! It's going to be a blast and it's free! http://tinyurl.com/northparkcomedy

No comments: