Saturday, May 23, 2009

"Happy" Memorial Day

I tried to look for an important quote to start out this post with. A quote about soldiers who gave, and give, their lives for freedom and the safety of our country.

I didn't find one.

As thankful as I am to, and for, our soldiers for their sacrifice. I just find it all sad. Sad that man will always fight and die.

Here's the quote I found:

"Dad, how do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?"
-Bill Watterson (Calvin & Hobbes)


It's amazing to me that men, and women, who never met me have given their lives so that I could live freely in the United States of America. It's sad, but amazing.

I'll never be a parent. But I can't imagine, as a father, sending my child into battle. Knowing that child who I loved, who was a part of me, may not return.

Another glimpse of God. Just as my wife as taught me a little about how God loves us unconditionally. These parents, saying goodbye to their child, shows me a glimpse of God. Giving His Son so that I can live.

It's wrong to say, "Happy Memorial Day." There's nothing "happy" about it.

Thank God for His Son. Thank God for our soldiers who have died. Thank God for those who continue to put their lives on the line so that we can be free.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Perhaps Dad's should simply give their kids the book, "Oh the places you will go." However, this famous kids book does not mention war, but, it is a special good read even for adult kids. As a former Marine, I salute the men and women of our armed forces. "Semper Fi."