Tuesday, May 03, 2011

If You Want Things To Grow... Fertilizer

It doesn't happen every night. Just on the simple, "once in a while." On days where I've somehow managed to leave a friendship in doubt. Nights when the last words between my Mom, or Dad, and myself were not quite as loving as I'd have liked them to be. Sometimes it comes after long days, or short days that feel long, where all my memories are of mistakes and all my mistakes are from my "best laid plans."

Some nights I simply am forced to look at Kristin and say, "I'm sure I'll wake up in the morning.  I know things aren't as bad as they felt today. But just in case... In case tonight is THE night and I don't get to wake up tomorrow: I love you. I wouldn't have changed a thing. The moments we've spent together have, each and every one, been a miracle. You are a gift from God and, if this is the way it works, I'll be waiting for you on the other side."

I did that tonight. Each time it happens I can't decide if it's something I wish more of us said to each other before we end the day, or if it's something I wish we all just knew... so it didn't need to be said.

No matter. I'm glad I said it to her.  I'm aware she knows it, but the way you love someone can always bare repeating.




For eighty-nine cents you can buy one of my songs from Amazon.com:
All About Me





No comments: