Saturday, September 12, 2009

In Mother Russia, Karaoke Sings You!

Karaoke last night was interesting. Normally I don't like going to the Red Lion on Fridays because it's so crowded. But, I think, withe Ducks first home game today everybody stayed home last night. It was nice to have a smaller rotation and I always love doing BNL with Tim.

Speaking of Tim, Brent commented last night that he (Tim, not Brent) was "fearless" on the mic. Anyone who knows Tim moderately well or better knows that Tim is not fearless. In fact Tim, like most of us, if full of irrational fears. The difference is that Tim has learned to worry less about what others think and more about what he thinks. Granted, if he blows a song at karaoke, he beats the hell out of himself. Maybe he worries too much about what he thinks of himself. Ok, now I'm confused...

But the point is that Tim has a great time and is willing to go out on a limb because he realizes that what other people think isn't important. I'm sure he forgets that fact once in a while too. We all do. Even the best of us... myself not included. (That's not included in "the best of us" but absolutely included in the group that forgets.)

Reality? It's the lesson my Father's been trying to teach me my whole life. From as early as I can remember as I'd leave for one place or another or as we'd say goodbye for just about any reason my Dad would say, "Be Aaron." He wanted me to know that all I had to do was be myself. It's a great lesson. One I'm still learning. But it goes deeper.

I believe in a creator. God, if you will. I believe that God has a plan for each and every one of our lives. Now, if you aren't on the same page as God or are just plain ignoring Him, that plans not going to go exactly as it was meant to be. I think very few of us ever live that plan out precisely. But just being yourself. Being the person you were created to be, whether you believe in God or not, allows part of that plan to work out. If you choose to be the person you were created to be, and not what you think you should be or what others have convinced you to be, you are inevitably going to end up, frequently on the path you were created for.

Granted, from my perspective, you'd be better off following God on that path. I believe that the need for God is a big part of our make-up. I believe we're incomplete without Him.

“There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus” - Blaise Pascal


But isn't it worth a try to just be yourself for a while and see what happens? Some people won't like it and they'll drift away. But the one's who stay will be the one's who like you for who you are and appreciate what you have to offer. And who knows... they're may be some great karaoke in it for you.

No comments: