Sunday, October 05, 2008

Don't Get Too Personal

Here's my confession: I don't think Obama is a good choice for president.

I think he's a much better choice than McCain. But I don't really believe either candidate is what we really need in office. There are many reasons and issues that have led me to this conclusion. But one issue, a personal issue, has really been bothering me.

Both candidates have openly stated that they are Christians. Both candidates have also gone out of their way to avoid any questions or comments that would further reveal their religious beliefs and/or convictions.

If you're going to publicly state your chosen belief system, then I think you have to acknowledge that system and how it will effect your decisions. If it will not effect your decisions then it's not really a personal belief system, now is it?

I, personally, believe that religion shouldn't be the main issue, or even a issue in a candidate. But I also feel that the only reason they state their "Christianity" is to gain the votes of the majority. Then they want to push it aside to avoid anything that would turn away the rest of the country... or even the majority. (I know, as a Christian, that my views are not in the "main-stream" of either the Christian populace or the non-Christian populace. But that's a different blog.)

It reminded me of a song by Steve Taylor from the 1980s called It's A Personal Thing, which comments on politicians refusal to explore, with the voters, their beliefs but still using their Christian title to further their career.

The press conference
It's a personal thing, and I find it odd
you would question my believing in a personal God
I'm devout, I'm sincere, ask my mother if you doubt it
I'm religious, but I'd rather not get radical about it
the old-time believers had timidity and grace
but this new generation doesn't know its place
you're entitled to believe, but the latest Gallup Poll
says you mustn't interfere--that's the government's role

chorus:
'Cause when you throw your hat in the bullring
before you know it's a personal thing
and when he comes to the day of reckoning
he's gonna tell 'em, "uh, uh, uh, it's a personal thing"

The nomination speech
It's a personal thing, and I boldly state
that my views on morality will have to wait
'til my personal life's out of the public eye
and the limitations statue can protect my alibi
I'm devout, I'm sincere, and I'm proud to say
that it's had exactly no effect on who I am today
I believe for the benefit for all manking
in the total separation of church and mind

(chorus)

The victory night
It's a personal thing, and I plainly speak
(from the same code of ethics that I held last week)
as I promised if elected this election day
with the help of God almight...I'll do it my way


My Rhapsody Playlist

Get comfy at judasforgiven.com

No comments: