Wednesday, July 19, 2006

My Grandpas obituaries:

From the Register-Pajaronian

Delmar R. Â?BudÂ? Coffman III died Friday, July 14, 2006, at Santa Cruz Healthcare Center. He was 79.

A native of Fort Smith, Ark., Mr. Coffman lived in Ben Lomond for the past three years. He worked for the Watsonville Lumber Co. for many years and also was a self-employed builder.

Mr. Coffman was deacon of the First Baptist Church and of the Sierra Baptist Church in Oakdale. He served in the Army during World War II.

Mr. Coffman is survived by his wife, Lois Coffman of Ben Lomond; son Dennis (Jeannette) Coffman of Salinas; daughters Jan (Ray) Jamison of Oregon, Diane (Ron) Atkins of Ben Lomond, and Julie Coffman of Riverbank; brothers Bob (Vondel) Coffman of Royal Oaks, Davey Coffman of Watsonville, and Larry (Linda) Coffman of South Lake Tahoe; 15 grandchildren; 20 great-grandchildren and numerous nieces, nephews and step-siblings.

Visitation will be held at Davis Memorial Chapel Wednesday from 2-5 p.m. and 6-9 p.m. A service will be held at First Baptist Church at 2 p.m. on Thursday. Committal will follow at Pioneer Cemetery.

From the Santa Cruz Sentinel

Services will be Thursday for Delmar R. "Bud" Coffman III, who died Friday at Santa Cruz Healthcare Center. He was 79.

An Arkansas native, Mr. Coffman was a longtime resident of Watsonville and moved to Oakdale in 1996. He spent the last three years in Ben Lomond. He worked for Watsonville Lumber Co., and was a self-employed builder for many years.

Mr. Coffman served in the Army in the South Pacific during World War II. He was a member and deacon at First Baptist Church in Watsonville. After moving to Oakdale, he was a member and deacon at Sierra Baptist Church for five years.

He is survived by his wife of 59 years, Lois Coffman of Ben Lomond; son Dennis Coffman of Salinas; daughters Jan Jamison of Oregon, Diane Atkins of Ben Lomond, and Julie Coffman of Riverbank; brothers Bob of Royal Oaks, Davey of Watsonville, and Larry of South Lake Tahoe; 15 grandchildren; 20 great-grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.

Friends may call from 2-5 p.m. and 6-9 p.m. today at Davis Memorial Chapel, 609 Main St., Watsonville.

Services will be 2 p.m. Thursday at First Baptist Church at Fifth and Lincoln streets in Watsonville. There will be a private committal at the Pioneer Watsonville Cemetery.

Here's what's missing:

He almost always worked a second and third job. It wasn't for his family. They had what they needed. He worked the extra so they could help when someone needed it.

He had a sixth grade education. Frequently, though, I would be with him when he calculated figures for building materials faster than anyone could with a calculator.

He loved practical jokes. My father and he spent several holidays trading gifts wrapped in either sealed PVC pipe or encased in cement.

Before there was a mission in Watsonville, California he would go with others from church down to the train yards to provide soup to those "traveling the rails".

He spent years making coffee cake and, on alternating Sundays, biscuits for "fellowship time" at his church. Frequently he paid most of the costs himself so that hundreds could have time together.

When I was a kid he used to take me out at Christmas and give me money for shopping. We'd walk together and he'd tell me stories. It's probably, I realize as I write this, why the mall is so special at Christmas for me. (This Christmas will be hard. Very hard.)

He loved me. He loved all his children and grandchildren. But he loved me. I miss him. I haven't seen him in a long time, but knowing he's gone... I miss him.

I know none of this stuff is part of an obituary. But I wanted you to know.

Before he passed I gave my Mom a picture of Kristin to take down. She showed it to him. She told him about Kristin. He couldn't respond but Mom said he smiled and nodded. He would have liked her.

I've got to stop now... Grandpa's dead.

No comments: